Prepare the Spindle
- If wear sleeve is present, remove it by striking the sleeve with the round end of a ball-peen hammer. NEVER use a cold chisel or other sharp tool. Using a doth, inspect the spindle shoulder for nicks or roughness. Use a file to remove any burrs from the leading edge or shoulder area.
- Clean spindle areas thoroughly with emery doth. Fill chisel marks or gouges with hardening compound, allow to set, then smooth with emery doth. Clean spindle threads and keyway, then wipe spindle with clean cloth to remove dirt, grit or any foreign material. Proper seal fit can be verified by placing the seal on the spindle shoulder and checking the interference fit.
Prepare the Hub
- Remove old lube and thoroughly dean the hub cavity and hub bore. Inspect inner hub bore for roughness. Use emery doth to remove any bore sealant or burrs from the seal bore and the leading edge, and wipe hub clean.
Install Hub Mounted Seals and Bearings
- After thoroughly inspecting the bearings, clean and pre-lube the inner bearing with clean oil. Lay the wheel flat or lean at 45 degree angle. Place the inner bearing inside hub in the bearing cup.
If damage is visible or condition is questionable, replace the cup, cone and any other components.
- Place the seal on the recommended installation tool with the oil side facing up. Lightly lubricate seal O.D. with clean oil.
- NEVER use bore sealant on seal O.D.
- Using a 3 to 5 pound hammer, drive seal straight and firmly into the hub. Once the seal has bottomed out, there will be a sound of impact change. Lightly lube I.D. of seal with clean oil after installation.
- Return wheel end to upright position. Pre-lube hub cavity with clean oil.
Install Spindle Mounted Seals and Bearings
- Place seal on spindle with the oil side facing out towards the end of the spindle. Press seal by hand as tar as possible onto axle shoulder.
- Place installation tool over spindle until it rests against seal. Strike end of tool with a 3 to 5 pound hammer until flange on tool “bottoms out” on axle shoulder.
- Remove installation tool and check to see that seal is aligned squarely on shoulder. Pre-lube inner bearing cone with clean oil and place onto spindle. Lightly lube rubber O.D. of seal and housing area in wheel hub.
- With a wheel dolly, carefully align the hub with the spindle and guide the wheel assembly onto the spindle. Pre-lube outer bearing and install into bearing cup. Inspect threads of adjusting nut and hand-tighten onto spindle. While rotating the wheel, torque the adjusting nuts to recommended adjustment and final assembly procedures. To achieve consistent and accurate adjustment, ALWAYS use a torque wrench.
- Install hubcap using a new gasket, and fill to proper level with clean oil. (Do not over-torque bolts.) Insert hubcap plug, making sure vent hole is dean and free from debris. Rotate the wheel, allowing oil to drain into the hub cavity, and refill if needed. For drive axle applications, use a new drive axle gasket before assembly of drive axle. Inspect vent plug on axle, making sure it is dean and free from debris.
Wheel End Fixture
- To prove proper adjustment is achievable using recommended wheel bearing adjustment procedures, we designed a patented fixture which accurately measures axial end play. For information on adjustment procedures, consult your Heavy Duty Reel Specialist.