Lubricating Oil is often referred to as the ‘life blood’ of an engine. Without the proper lubricating oil your vehicles will without a doubt rapidly stop working. Oil Filters remove impurities and the wear-causing contaminants from the engine’s oil, rather like kidneys purify the blood. If the Oil Filters are not doing an effective job, engine life can be radically shortened. Lube Oil not only allows the internal components of an engine to move by keeping the various parts separate from each other, it also carries out a number of other very important tasks:
- Removing Heat
- Forming a seal between the cylinder wall and the piston rings
- Cleaning internal surfaces
- Transporting debris to the Oil Filter
Contamination through Combustion
It’s important to know that the combustion process, where the fuel and air mixture is burned to generate power, creates a break in this loop. Combustion inevitably generates a number of contaminants which pollute the Oil.
- Partially Burned Fuel
- Varnish, Lacquers
The Fleetguard Product Solution
High pressure fuel injection systems in modern diesel engines result in much lower exhaust emissions than before. However, they can retain more soot in the Lubricating Oil. This will tend to create what we call sludge, a black, almost gelatinous, sticky material which can be abrasive, resulting in increased wear rates that can quickly block an oil filter. In this case, the bypass valve will open, sending abrasive, unfiltered oil to the moving parts of the engine.
There are three common types of oil filtration technique used in modern engines:
- Full Flow Filtration – where all of the oil pump output is altered before going to the engine
- Bypass Filtration – where a proportion of the oil how is altered to a much finer degree than in a Full Flow system, before being put back into the oil sump
- Combined Filtration – where both full flow and bypass systems are utilized in the filter
Many different types of filtration medium are used, depending on the specific circumstance:
- Wire Mesh Strainers
- Stacked Disc
- Pleated Paper
- Depth (tightly packed shredded paper, cloth & wood chips)
- Pleated Synthetic
To learn more about advanced Lube Oil Filtration through Fleetguard and to test your knowledge click here.
Useful Product Links:
Information provided by: Cummins Filtration