WHAT IS IT?
Roadcheck is an annual event sponsored by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), North America’s leading commercial vehicle enforcement organization. Within a 3-day period, 10,000 CVSA and FMCSA inspectors conduct roadside inspections at more than 1,500 locations. The goal of this event is to increase safety and security on the highways and reduce the number of crashes involving commercial vehicles.
WHO NEEDS TO COMPLY?
All commercial motor vehicles (trucks, buses, and motor coaches), plus all CMV drivers of those vehicles, could be subject to a North American Standard Level 1 roadside inspection.
WHEN IS THE 2014 EVENT?
The event begins at midnight on June 3 and runs for 72 straight hours — JUNE 3-5.
WHY IS COMPLIANCE CRITICAL?
Last year, during Roadcheck 2013, 24.1% of all the vehicles inspected were placed out of service. Nearly 1 in 4 vehicles! Are your vehicles inspection-ready? Are your drivers ready, too? If not, either or both could be placed out of service. That can lead to a multitude of negative consequences, including delayed shipments, lost revenue, a tarnished company image, loss of customers, DOT penalties, and a hit to your CSA BASIC scores.
Roadcheck 2013 results:
- Total inspections — 73,023
- Motorcoach inspections — 1,471
- Vehicle out-of-service rate — 24.1%
- Cargo securement violations in relation to all OOS violations — 11.7%
- Brake-related violations in relation to all vehicle OOS violations — 49.6%
- Driver out-of-service rate — 4.3%
- Seatbelt violations issued — 899
That’s just a sampling of last year’s results.
HOW CAN J. J. KELLER HELP?
We offer a wide range of products and services to help you ensure your vehicles and drivers are prepared to pass a comprehensive inspection — during Roadcheck 2014 and throughout the year — so you can protect your safety reputation, CSA BASIC scores, and bottom line.
- Cargo Securement Reference Pack
- Cargo Securement Handbook for Drivers
- Cargo Securement Sliding Calculator
- Cargo Securement Laminated Reference Card
- GO/NOGO Grade 43/70 Chain Gauge
- CVSA Inspection Charts – Easy-to-read charts covering the 37 steps for Level I Criteria Item Inspection of tractor-trailers resulting in a CVSA decal.
- Roadside Inspections: A Driver’s Guide (DVD Second Edition) – Prepares drivers for roadside inspections while explaining the seriousness consequences of failed inspections.
- Master Driver Series Vehicle Inspections (DVD) – Discusses the importance of performing daily pre-trip, en-route, and post trip inspections.
These are just a few of the products that J.J. Keller has to offer in order to keep your vehicles and your drivers on the road. Be sure to visit www.RyderFleetProducts.com for a complete list of J.J. Keller products.
Are your vehicles and drivers ready for Roadcheck 2014?