Preparing for Brake Safety Week – Sept 6-12, 2015

Brake Safety WeekThis annual program is part of the Operation Airbrake program and is sponsored by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) in partnership with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).  The goal is to encourage and improve brake safety on commercial vehicles throughout North America.

Of the 13,305 vehicles inspected during last year’s check, 2,162 (16.2%) were placed out of service for brake violations.

And, during Roadcheck 2014, brake related violations were the number one cause of vehicles being placed out of service. That’s a lot of vehicles that, before being inspectedand placed out of service, were being driven unsafely on our highways. However, the good news is that even though 16.2% failed in 2014, the other 83.8% passed and were found to have brakes operating and performing as they should. No doubt this is largely due to the efforts of the dedicated drivers, technicians, and fleet managers who consistently make it a priority to keep their brakes inspected and properly maintained.

What you should know:

During the week-long brake safety campaign, be prepared for CMV inspectors to conduct brake system inspections (primarily Level IV Inspections) on trucks and buses.  Check to ensure your brake-system components have no loose or missing parts, that air or hydraulic fluid is not leaking, and make sure linings, pads, drums or rotors are not worn. Defective or out-of-adjustment brakes will result in the vehicle being placed out of service.

Malfunction indicator lamps for Antilock braking systems (ABS) should also be checked to ensure they are in working order. If the ABS is not working correctly, the on-board fault detection system will activate an indicator lamp to alert the driver. If this indicator light is not working, the driver will not be alerted in the event of an ABS problem.

Additional brake safety resources you may find helpful:

  • A good place to start learning about Brake Safety Week 2015  is this general information page on the CVSA website.
  • This  ABS Brakes article on the CVSA site provides a good overview for learning
    how to verify that your ABS is working, identifying chaffed or worn hoses and understanding what a PBBT (Performance Based  Brake Tester ) inspection measures. You can also view an example of a PBBT inspection report.
  •  ABS: look before they lock – understanding your vehicle’s ABS. This is an informational flyer (in pdf format) you can download and print off.
  • Would your brakes pass inspection This article first appeared on the Ryder Fleet Products blog during Brake Safety Week 2014.  The tips and advice for preparing brakes for inspection are still applicable to this year.
  • How to Prevent Brake Noise If you’re experiencing brake noise on your truck, this article will help you identify and correct potential problems.
  • View inspection results from the 2014 Brake Safety Week campaign. (pdf format)

Find the parts you need to be prepared.

Find anything during your preventative maintenance check that needs attention? Search the truck brake parts section of our website to locate the parts you need to keep driving safely. We carry OEM quality, heavy duty and medium duty truck brake parts from names you know and trust including Bendix, Performance Friction and Phillips Industries.

share_itPlease share this article with your network of friends to help encourage safe highways. You can use the social media buttons below to share with and help educate your own friends and colleagues.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.